Early Submission: August 1, 2023 – September 30, 2023
Regular Submission: October 1, 2023 – November 30, 2023
Late Submission: December 1, 2023 – January 31, 2024
Early Submission: JPY 2,500
Regular Submission: JPY 3,500
Late Submission: JPY 4,500
1. Japan Premieres Only (except Japan Competition):
Your film MUST keep the Japan premiere status from August 1, 2023 until Short Shorts Film Festival & Asia 2024 in Tokyo ends. The following cases will affect the Japan premiere status and will be disqualified.
– Films screened in Japan on any media and for any occasion including screening events, film festivals and so forth before and/or during Short Shorts Film Festival & Asia 2024 in Tokyo.
– Films streamed online with Japanese subtitles and/or in the Japanese language before and/or during Short Shorts Film Festival & Asia 2024 in Tokyo.
– Non-dialogue films available online will be ineligible.
*If the film is in a non-Japanese language, has no Japanese subtitles and is available online outside of Japan, it will still be eligible for the competition.
All genres are accepted with the exception of animation, non-fiction films and music videos.
3. Running Time:
25 minutes or under. No exceptions. Running time includes end credits.
4. Production Year:
The film must have been produced after June 1, 2022.
The festival committee will determine the production date of your film based on the copyright year listed in the end credits.
5. Production Country:
All. Submissions will be considered in three categories: Japan, Asia International and International.
Eligibility for each category will be determined by the festival committee based on the following criteria: director’s nationality, shooting location, language of the film, nationality of cast and source of funding.
Countries for the Asia International Competition are defined as:
Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, East Timor, Fiji, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Macau, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Rep. of China, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Thailand, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Vietnam.
English subtitles are required for submissions with languages other than English or Japanese.
MOV or MP4 file.
Best Short Award – International Competition: 600,000 Japanese Yen
Best Short Award – Asia International Competition: 600,000 Japanese Yen
Best Short Award – Japan Competition: 600,000 Japanese Yen
*Awards are subject to change.
Please complete the online submission either on the official festival Website, Shortfilmdepot (www.shortfilmdepot.com) or FilmFreeway (www.filmfreeway.com).
To submit your film on the official festival website
1.Please register your information to create your account.
2.Please fill in the forms, make the payment and upload the movie from the following link.
Type: MOV or MP4 file
Frame Rate: 1920 x 1080
File Size: Under 10 GB preferred
To submit your film either on Shortfilmdepot or FilmFreeway, you’ll be requested to create an account and register your film.
For more details, please refer to the instructions of the chosen online platform (Shortfilmdepot/ Filmfreeway) after you read the submission guidelines thoroughly.
Shortlist will be announced on the official festival website within two months after the month of the film is submitted.
The Final selection results will be announced by the end of April 2023 on the official festival website.
The National and International Tour of the Festival will take place after SSFF & ASIA 2024 in Tokyo ends. All selected films will be screened in Tokyo, but not all selected films will be screened at all locations. The filmmakers will be notified in case their films will be screened in the tour.
- Works in progress will NOT be accepted.
- If selected, filmmakers are required to provide an Apple ProRes file as a screening copy.
- By submitting the film, the submitter acknowledges that the Festival has the right to screen the film in any competition or program at SSFF & ASIA 2023 if selected without any screening fee.
- The selected film will also be streamed online at the festival online venue.
- Festival venues, dates, awards, travel awards etc. are subject to change at any time.
- Submission fees are non-refundable under any circumstances.
- If selected, films are required to have obtained any and all consents, releases, licenses, and other authorizations for copyrighted content included in the film. A music cue sheet is mandatory for any copyrighted musical composition.
- The Festival parent company will obtain the commercial rights of the award winner films.
- All films submitted to the Short Shorts Film Festival will be catalogued in the Short Shorts Film Festival website and LIFE LOG BOX service. This implies that by submitting, you consent to have all of your entries displayed on both the Short Shorts Film Festival website and LIFE LOG BOX service, irrespective of whether they are chosen for the official competition or not.
If you wish to cancel your entry:
To cancel your film being catalogued in the Short Shorts Film Festival website, please contact the festival office.
To cancel your entry on the LIFE LOG BOX service, please set your content to private on your LIFE LOG BOX account.