Short Shorts Film Festival & Asia 2020
Cinematic Tokyo Competition Submission Guidelines
We are calling for short films that take "Tokyo" as their subject, and which show the many attractions that Tokyo has to offer. The competition winner will receive 1,000,000 JPY! We are not only looking for films that take place in Tokyo, but also for films that depict memories of Tokyo, impressions of Tokyo, or even shops in overseas locations that offer an experience of "Tokyo". Please send us your “Tokyo” themed submissions!
August 1, 2019 - January 31, 2020
1. Theme: “Tokyo”
“Tokyo” must feature in the film. You do not have to show the real Tokyo or even shoot in Tokyo, and depictions can be based on your imagination or fiction.
Films shot in and around Tokyo
Films depicting locations or objects based on the image of “Tokyo”
Films depicting Tokyo 100 years from now
2. Japan Premiere
All genres are accepted.
4. Running Time
25 minutes or under. No exceptions. Running time includes end credits.
5. Production Year
6. Production Country
English subtitles are required for submissions with languages other than English or Japanese.
AWARD & PRIZE
Best Short Award: 1,000,000 Japanese Yen
*Awards are subject to change.
(1) For any inquiries regarding shooting in Tokyo for this competition, feel free to contact the Tokyo Location Box (http://www.locationbox.metro.tokyo.jp/english/).
(2) Materials available on the Tokyo Stock Footage website can be used for this competition for free.
http://tokyo-footage.com/ Note 1: Except Zojoji Temple, Sensoji Temple and Roppongi Hills Note 2: Please make sure to include “Tokyo Convention & Visitors Bureau” in the credits.
Please complete the online submission either via Shortfilmdepot (www.shortfilmdepot.com) or FilmFreeway (www.filmfreeway.com).
To submit your film, you’ll first be requested to create an account and then register your film.
For more details, please refer to the specific instructions for the chosen online platform (Shortfilmdepot/Filmfreeway) after you have read the submission guidelines thoroughly.
The selection results will be announced by the end of April 2020 on the official festival website.
The National and International Tour of the Festival will take place after SSFF & ASIA 2020 in Tokyo ends. All selected films will be screened in Tokyo, but not all selected films will be screened at all locations. The filmmakers will be notified in case their films will be screened in the tour.
- Works in progress will NOT be accepted.
- If selected, filmmakers are required to provide an Apple ProRes file or NTSC HDCAM as a screening copy.
- By submitting the film, the submitter acknowledges that the Festival has the right to screen the film in any competition or program at SSFF & ASIA 2020 if selected.
- Festival venues, dates, awards, travel awards etc. are subject to change at any time.