Short Shorts Film Festival & Asia 2022
Non-Fiction Competition Submission Guidelines
This competition calls for non-fiction short films which explore societal issues and the diverse lives around the world! The Best Short Award Winner will be eligible for nomination at the annual Academy Award® the following year.
Early Submission: August 1, 2021 - September 30, 2021
Regular Submission: October 1, 2021 – November 30, 2021
Late Submission: December 1, 2021 - January 31, 2022
Early Submission: US $20
Regular Submission: US $30
Late Submission: US $40
1. Documentary motion picture. It may employ any techniques as long as the film is made as a non-fiction film and the emphasis is on fact and not on fiction.
2. Japan Premiere :
3. Genre :
4. Running Time :
25 minutes or under. No exceptions. Running time includes end credits.
5. Production Year :
The film must have been produced after June 1, 2020.
The festival committee will determine the production date of your film based on the copyright year listed in the end credits.
6. Production Country :
7. Language :
English subtitles are required for submissions with languages other than English or Japanese.
8. Formats :
Best Short Award: 600,000 Japanese Yen
In addition to above, "Biogen Award" will be selected out of the films nominated to SSFF & ASIA 2022 competitions.
Biogen Award - 300,000 Japanese Yen
Biogen has continued to provide ethical pharmaceuticals for neurological diseases based on its vision of “Make Impossible Possible in Neuroscience”.
Among the films to be screened, the Biogen Award will be presented to a film that powerfully conveys the theme of “Make Impossible Possible”.
*Awards are subject to change.
Please complete the online submission either on Shortfilmdepot (www.shortfilmdepot.com) or FilmFreeway (www.filmfreeway.com).
To submit your film on the official festival website
- Please fill in the forms from the following link.
You will receive the acceptance email with the Submission No.
- Please make the payment from the link.
Payment can be only made with credit cards.
- Please upload the movie file from the link.
Type: MOV or MP4 file
Frame Rate: 1920 x 1080
File Size: Under 500MB
To submit your film either on Shortfilmdepot or FilmFreeway, you’ll be requested to create an account and register your film. For more details, please refer to the instructions of the chosen online platform (Shortfilmdepot /Filmfreeway) after you read the submission guidelines thoroughly.
Shortlists will be announced every month starting from October, 2021.
The Final selection will be made from the shortlists and be announced by the end of April 2022 on the official festival website.
The National and International Tour of the Festival will take place after SSFF & ASIA 2022 in Tokyo ends. All selected films will be screened in Tokyo, but not all selected films will be screened at all locations. The filmmakers will be notified in case their films will be screened in the tour.
- Works in progress will NOT be accepted.
- If selected, filmmakers are required to provide an Apple ProRes file as a screening copy.
- By submitting the film, the submitter acknowledges that the Festival has the right to screen the film in any competition or program at SSFF & ASIA 2022 if selected.
- The selected film will also be streamed online on the festival online venue.
- Festival venues, dates, awards, travel awards etc. are subject to change at any time.
- Submission fees are non-refundable under any circumstances.