Short Shorts Film Festival & Asia 2020
Non-Fiction Competition Submission Guidelines
This competition calls for non-fiction short films that explore societal issues and the diverse lives around the world. The Best Short award winner will be eligible for nomination at the annual Academy Awards® the following year.
Early Submission: August 1, 2019 - September 30, 2019
Regular Submission: October 1, 2019 - November 30, 2019
Late Submission: December 1, 2019 - January 31, 2020
Early Submission: US $20
Regular Submission: US $30
Late Submission: US $40
1. Documentary motion picture. It may employ any techniques as long as the film is made as a non-fiction film and the emphasis is on fact and not on fiction.
2. Japan Premiere
4. Running Time
25 minutes or under. No exceptions. Running time includes end credits.
5. Production Year
The film must have been produced after June 1, 2018. The festival committee will determine the production date of your film based on the copyright year listed in the end credits.
6. Production Country
English subtitles are required for submissions with languages other than English or Japanese.
AWARD & PRIZE
Best Short Award: 600,000 Japanese Yen
*Awards are subject to change.
Please complete the online submission either on Shortfilmdepot (www.shortfilmdepot.com) or FilmFreeway (www.filmfreeway.com).
To submit your film, you’ll be requested to create an account and register your film.
For more details, please refer to the instructions of the chosen online platform (Shortfilmdepot/ Filmfreeway) after you read the submission guidelines thoroughly.
STREAMING AFTER THE FESTIVAL
Submitted films may be released on online media run by the festival committee or its related third companies. Filmmakers will be notified in case their films are selected for streaming.
Selection results will be announced by the end of April 2020 on the official festival website.
The National and International Tour of the Festival will take place after SSFF & ASIA 2020 in Tokyo ends. All selected films will be screened in Tokyo, but not all selected films will be screened at all locations. The filmmakers will be notified in case their films will be screened in the tour.
- Works in progress will NOT be accepted.
- If selected, filmmakers are required to provide an Apple ProRes file or NTSC HDCAM as a screening copy.
- By submitting the film, the submitter acknowledges that the Festival has the right to screen the film in any competition or program at SSFF & ASIA 2020 if selected.
- Festival venues, dates, awards, travel awards etc. are subject to change at any time.
- Submission fees are non-refundable under any circumstances.